Sunday, January 2, 2011

An Argument For a Good Camera

47°
Cloudy w/ Ground Fog

I am not one to carry a camera with me. I figure if I need to take a picture I have my iPhone with me, which has a camera. Today is a really unique day - landscape wise. The snow from the recent blizzard is still on the ground, but it's nearly 50° outside. The snow is melting and creating a mysterious ground fog, which is even more beautiful looking down or up upon it through the woods. I tried to capture the brilliance of it with my iPhone's camera, but it just didn't do the scenery any justice.

My argument against cameras is that people get so absorbed in capturing the moment that they forget to LIVE the moment. Then they start to harass you and limit your abilities to enjoy your moments as well. I don't mind when people snap a photo here and there, or if you are going to a photo shoot with the purpose of sitting there for an hour to get photos taken, or if you are going on a nature walk with the purpose of capturing the natural beauty as you go. But it seems like a waste of important moments to spend half or more of them trying to capture them in print forever.

But, there is also great benefit from capturing pieces of important moments in time. My memory isn't as great as I like to think it is, and without photos I might not remember every important event, or even the little moments that bring pleasure to me - like the fog in the woods this morning.

I am going to try to remember to bring my real camera with me for my walks with Ozzie from this point forward. I think this will be a good change for me, and help me to appreciate photos and those who take photos.

I also think that a blog isn't as effective as it can be with words alone. A photo a day to illustrate my discoveries while walking Ozzie will help to improve my blog, and thus help to accomplish a New Year's resolution of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment